Corinthians rejects striker after reaction to assault case

SAO PAULO — Brazilian team Corinthians has decided against signing a 19-year-old striker accused of assaulting a former girlfriend after supporters complained.

The Sao Paulo-based club said in a statement that Sport Recife's Juninho would not be arriving "because of numerous protests by female and male fans."

Juninho was in Sao Paulo to conclude the deal when the club issued the statement. He is accused of assaulting and threatening a former girlfriend last year, but denies the claims.

Corinthians said it was giving up on the deal because "the feminist cause overtakes any other considerations."

People also read these

Zverev's win over Murray caps dramatic career...

Jan 22, 2017

Mischa Zverev still remembers one of his earliest losses to Andy Murray, when the two were rising...

Clijsters, Roddick joining International Tennis...

Jan 24, 2017

Kim Clijsters and Andy Roddick have been elected to the International Tennis Hall of Fame

Australia quick Mennie suffers head injury during...

Jan 24, 2017

Australia fast bowler Joe Mennie has been admitted to hospital with a fractured skull and bleeding...

Williams, Lucic-Baroni win in throwback...

Jan 25, 2017

When Mirjana Lucic-Baroni served out her victory at the Australian Open on Wednesday, making the...

The Latest: Nadal beats Raonic, returns Grand...

Jan 25, 2017

Rafael Nadal has beaten Milos Raonic 6-4, 7-6 (7), 6-4 to reach the Australian Open semifinals,...

Get your 24-hour live updates here in Ultimate Sports Daily. We deliver content from all regions so that you won’t miss out on any single event.

Contact us: sales[at]ultimatesportsdaily.com