Video review approved by FIFA for Women's World Cup

FIFA President Gianni Infantino talks during a press conference after a FIFA Council Meeting, Friday, March 15, 2019, in Miami. The council approved working with Qatar to explore expanding the 2022 World Cup to 48 teams by adding at least one more country in the Persian Gulf to host matches. (AP Photo/Luis M. Alvarez)
FIFA President Gianni Infantino holds a soccer ball as he speaks during a press conference after the FIFA Council Meeting, Friday, March 15, 2019, in Miami. The council approved working with Qatar to explore expanding the 2022 World Cup to 48 teams by adding at least one more country in the Persian Gulf to host matches. (AP Photo/Luis M. Alvarez)

MIAMI — Video review has been approved for the Women's World Cup, which runs from June 7 to July 7 in France.

The Video Assistant Referee system made its debut at the men's tournament in Russia last year and was approved Friday for use at the women's tournament.

Of the 455 incidents checked by VAR at last year's World Cup, 20 led to video reviews. Among the reviews was one late in the first half of the final, which led to a hand ball call on Croatia's Ivan Perisic. Antoine Griezmann converted a penalty kick to give France a 2-1 lead, and Les Bleus went on to a 4-2 win.

FIFA has been criticized by women's players for the disparity in resources between the men's and women's games.

The governing body announced in October that prize money for this year's women's tournament will be $30 million, of which $4 million will go to the federation of the champion. While the total is double the prize money for the 2015 Women's World Cup in Canada, it is a fraction of the $400 million in prize money for last year's men's World Cup, of which $38 million went to champion France.

FIFA says prize money for the 2022 men's World Cup will be $440 million.

Women's soccer players also filed a legal action after FIFA allowed the use of artificial turf at the 2015 Women's World Cup. FIFA does not allow artificial turf at the men's tournament.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino said national governing bodies that do not fund women's soccer to the level FIFA desires will have money withheld that otherwise would go to them under the FIFA Forward development program.

"We have the same amounts dedicated and earmarked for men's and women's competitions," Infantino said Friday. "We still have 50 or 60 associations in the world who do not have proper women's football. Well, they will receive less money."

During the news conference, Infantino showed off the ball to be used at the Women's World Cup — and dropped it.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

People also read these

Angelique Kerber getting used to birthdays away...

Jan 18, 2017

Little did Angelique Kerber know when she turned 18 at home in Bremen, Germany, that the next...

Topsy-turvy: Seppi posts comeback win over Kyrgios

Jan 18, 2017

Three days into the Australian Open, Andreas Seppi's 1-6, 6-7 (1), 6-4, 6-2, 10-8 comeback win over...

Kyrgios withdraws from doubles at Australian Open

Jan 19, 2017

Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the doubles at the Australian Open with an abdominal injury, a day...

'Crazy' good: Federer into 4th round at...

Jan 20, 2017

Roger Federer showed that his first two wins against qualifiers at the Australian Open really were...

Zverev's win over Murray caps dramatic career...

Jan 22, 2017

Mischa Zverev still remembers one of his earliest losses to Andy Murray, when the two were rising...

Get your 24-hour live updates here in Ultimate Sports Daily. We deliver content from all regions so that you won’t miss out on any single event.

Contact us: sales[at]ultimatesportsdaily.com